LAS VEGAS -- The Clark County School District Board of Trustees has voted to approve all of the recommendations made by the school zoning commission.
The school board made the decision during a Wednesday night meeting. The rezoning impacts 17 schools for the 2014 - 2015 school year.
"This is what I call heart wrenching and gut wrenching because we know it affects families, it affects young people, it affects you," Trustee Linda Young said.
CCSD officials hope the plan will help with overcrowding, which stands at 14 percent over capacity, according to the district. The plan moves hundreds of students from overcrowded schools to a less crowded school.
Parents spent months packing public meetings to air their concerns worried about their kids switching schools.
The rezoning affects schools all over the northwest part of the valley including Summerlin and some parents were not pleased.
"It is frustrating. We would like a long term solution and I realize there are peaks and valleys, in our valley, our economy has gone up and down, but it seems to be on an upward rise right now and we need to be able to plan ahead," parent Sarah McCoy said.
The district said it does not have the money to build new schools.
The schools include:
- Dean Lamar Allen Elementary School
- James Bilbray Elementary School
- Henry and Evelyn Bozarth Elementary School
- Marshall C. Darnell Elementary School
- William and Mary Scherkenbach Elementary School
- Sandra Lee Thompson Elementary School
- Howard E. Heckethorn Elementary School
- Joseph M. Neal Elementary School
- Betsy Rhodes Elementary School
- Vincent L. Triggs Elementary School
- Linda Rankin Givens Elementary School
- William Lummis Elementary School
- Clarence Piggott Elementary School
- Sig Rogich Middle School
- Walter Johnson Junior High School
- Arbor View High School
- Shadow Ridge High School
Three people were arrested for being connected to the human sex…
A Clark County School District bus was involved in a crash with a…
Homicide detectives are investigating a stabbing related homicide,…