Carbon Monoxide Blamed in Deaths of Fernley Teens

FERNLEY, Nev. (AP) -- Authorities say two teenagers found dead in a parked SUV in Fernley were apparently poisoned by carbon monoxide from a damaged exhaust system.

Lyon County sheriff's deputies reported the boy and girl, both 16, were found unresponsive in the Toyota 4 Runner just before midnight Tuesday in front of the girl's house.

Lt. J.L. Pattison says the vehicle was still running when the girl's mother found the teens, who were longtime friends and may have been dating. They were pronounced dead at the scene.

Investigators ruled out foul play.

Autopsies and toxicology tests are scheduled, but officials say it appears the pair was poisoned by carbon monoxide from the running vehicle.

Pattison says the two may have gone four-wheeling and damaged the tailpipe system, causing exhaust to fill the cabin.


More Stories

Don't Miss

  • Community Calendar
    Copyright 2017 Nexstar Broadcasting, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.
  • Connect with 8 News NOW
    Copyright 2017 Nexstar Broadcasting, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.
  • Community Pride
    Copyright 2017 Nexstar Broadcasting, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.
  • Politics Now
    Copyright 2017 Nexstar Broadcasting, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.
  • I-Team Reports
    Copyright 2017 Nexstar Broadcasting, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Latest News

Video Center