Catholic Charities prevented from taking in refugees from countries on executive order list

LAS VEGAS - An estimated 872 refugees will be allowed into the country despite the President Donald Trump's executive order temporarily suspending the refugee program.  The decision made is only for Syrian refugees who had already cleared the vetting process.

Catholic Charities has been advised on how to move forward with the changes, and after this week, the charitable organization will not take in any refugees.  And as mandated by President Trump's executive order, it will not receive any new arrivals of immigrants from Iran, Iraq, Libya, Somalia, Sudan, Syria, and Yemen for the next 120 days.

Out of the eight arrivals scheduled for this week, three cases from Iran and Iraq have been canceled.  However, the remaining five cases will arrive at the Las Vegas valley within the next two days.

According to officials, the group of people will come from countries not listed on the no travel list in the executive order.  Before last Friday, Catholic Charities was running business as usual, receiving refugees from around the globe.

Here are the latest numbers of citizens from five of the seven countries listed in the executive order:

  •     49 came from Iran
  •     32 from Syria and Somalia
  •     25 from Iraq and 3 from Sudan

The numbers represent a small percentage of the overall refugee population in the state of Nevada.  During the 2016 fiscal year, Catholic Charities received more than 3,000 refugees.

The travel restrictions and the suspension of the refugee program have sparked heated debates in the country and around the state

United States Congressman Ruben Kihuen spoke out against the executive orders from Washington, D.C. Tuesday morning.
 
"What we're seeing right now is illegal, unconstitutional, and an un-American action by the president," said rep. Ruben Kihuen.  "These are some of the most un-American actions that I have ever seen by an American President.

Trump supporters like Chuck Muth, the president of Citizen Outreach, have defended the president's actions.

"There are 40 Muslim majority countries that aren't included so the idea that it's a Muslim ban it's just false information that's being put out, and unfortunately it's gotten a lot of people stirred up over something that turned out to not be true," Muth said.

Despite the suspension of new arrivals, Catholic Charities says it will continue to offer other refugee services to their clients who are already in the country.
 


More Stories

Don't Miss

  • #OurPain
    Copyright 2018 Nexstar Broadcasting, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.
  • The 7th Annual 8 News NOW Super Recycle Event
    Copyright 2018 Nexstar Broadcasting, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.
  • Red Cross Everyday Heroes
  • Politics Now
    Copyright 2018 Nexstar Broadcasting, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.
  • Connect with 8 News NOW
    Copyright 2018 Nexstar Broadcasting, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Trending Stories

Latest News

Video Center