Electrical fire is the second leading cause of fires in the valley. When the weather gets colder, the risk of fire increases.
One of the biggest mistakes fire experts say people make involves space heaters.
Fire officials say they have seen many fires related to these devices during the last year as people use space heaters instead of their central heating.
While these appliances are safer than they used to be, they can still be dangerous if not used properly.
"They need to be three feet (a yard) to a meter away from anything that will burn such as sofas, beds, drapes,” said Las Vegas Fire and Rescue Public Information Officer Tim Szymanski. “What happens, people stick them too close to the bed. They fall asleep (with the heaters) too close to the drapes."
Fire officials also urge precaution with Christmas trees. Make sure lights are unplugged when not in use. Maintain live trees by watering them every 12 hours, so they don't dry up and become fire hazards.
Do not overload electrical outlets, especially with holiday lights or other appliances.
Make sure smoke alarms have fresh batteries, and at least one smoke alarm is near the kitchen.
Fireplaces can also be dangerous. Approximately 14,000 house fires start each year in the United States due to fireplace fires.
Make sure chimney pipes are clear before use. Don't overload fireplaces. Never use coal or charcoal in a fireplace, and use a screen to prevent nearby items from catching fire.
Finally, watch children around fireplaces. Sixty-five percent of fireplace injuries in the U.S. involve children under the age of five.
Copyright 2015 Nexstar Broadcasting, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.