Fire Burns in Vacant House in the Northwest

LAS VEGAS (AP) -- Fire officials say a blaze broke out in a vacant house in Las Vegas where a squatter was stealing electricity from neighbors.

No one was injured, but the blaze caused extensive damage.

Firefighters arrived Thursday morning and found heavy flames in the garage. Po

ice say they have responded to other complaints at the house over the past four months.

Las Vegas Fire and Rescue spokesman Timothy R. Szymanski said garden hoses and electrical cords were running from the house to neighboring homes. Neighbors told authorities the house was in foreclosure, and there was a for sale sign in front of the home.

Szymanski said house fires caused by squatters are common in foreclosed Las Vegas homes. They are usually accidental fires caused by cooking attempts or cigarettes.


More Stories

Don't Miss

  • Community Calendar
    Copyright 2017 Nexstar Broadcasting, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.
  • Connect with 8 News NOW
    Copyright 2017 Nexstar Broadcasting, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.
  • Founder's Day of Caring
    Copyright 2017 Nexstar Broadcasting, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.
  • Community Pride
    Copyright 2017 Nexstar Broadcasting, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.
  • Politics Now
    Copyright 2017 Nexstar Broadcasting, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Latest News

Video Center