Government moves to dismiss case against four remaining Bundy trial defendants

LAS VEGAS - The government made a motion Wednesday to dismiss the case against the four remaining defendants in the Bundy Trial.

Last month, a federal judge dismissed the case against Rancher Cliven Bundy, his two sons Ryan and Ammon Bundy, and Montana militia leader Ryan Payne. 

All of the defendants were on trial and could have faced life in prison if they were convicted for their roles in an armed standoff in Bunkerville in 2014. That April, the Bureau of Land Management moved forward with the court-ordered seizure of Bundy's cattle, which were illegally grazing on public land. 

Bundy, 71, and his supporters said they were just peacefully protesting, but Acting U.S. Attorney Steven Myhre cast the standoff as an armed uprising. He said it forced the federal Bureau of Land Management "at the end of a gun" to abandon plans to impound Bundy's cattle.

Judge Gloria Navarro called conduct by prosecutors in this case outrageous because prosecutors failed to turn over evidence which could have helped the defense, including information about surveillance, snipers near the Bundy ranch, and more.


More Stories

Don't Miss

  • #OurPain
    Copyright 2018 Nexstar Broadcasting, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.
  • Links we Mentioned
    Copyright 2018 Nexstar Broadcasting, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.
  • Community Calendar
    Copyright 2018 Nexstar Broadcasting, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.
  • Community Pride
    Copyright 2018 Nexstar Broadcasting, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.
  • Red Cross Everyday Heroes

Trending Stories

Latest News

Video Center