LAS VEGAS -- The fatal gunfire early Thursday morning at Flamingo Road and the Las Vegas Strip undoubtedly brought back memories for those who were in town on Sept. 7, 1996, the night a hail of bullets struck rapper Tupac Shakur.
Shakur had attended Mike Tyson's fight against Bruce Seldon at the MGM Grand earlier that evening and participated in a brawl at the hotel involving a reputed gang member. Shakur later rode as a passenger in a vehicle heading east on Flamingo Road that stopped at a red light at Koval Lane. Suddenly, gunfire erupted from another car that pulled up to the side of the BMW sedan that was carrying Tupac.
He was struck multiple times and died from the wounds six days later, but the killing remains unsolved.
Since then, the Strip corridor has been the scene of at least 13 other firearm-related incidents.
- Aug. 26, 2000 -- A man was shot and killed in the parking lot of Denny's restaurant on the Strip following an argument, according to the Associated Press. Another man was arrested and booked in connection with the shooting but Clark County court records don't show whether he was ever tried or convicted in connection with the case.
- Aug. 30, 2000 -- Utah resident Michael Ryan Davis, reportedly upset by Strip traffic, shot at another vehicle and then committed suicide as police approached him at a stoplight.
- July 4, 2006 -- Tarance Deshon Hall died after he was shot by a Metro Police officer while inside his vehicle at Las Vegas Boulevard and Flamingo Road in front of the Barbary Coast resort. Police said they initially approached Hall when he blocked traffic and refused to move. Police said the shooting occurred after two officers on bicycles pursued Hall a short distance and he tried to elude them.
- Feb. 16, 2007 -- A woman fired numerous shots into the air on the Strip near the Bellagio.
- Feb. 17, 2007 -- A man was repeatedly shot in the stomach near the old Stardust resort, leading to the arrest of seven suspects.
- Feb. 19, 2007 -- A man was shot in the hip in the MGM Grand parking garage but the gunman escaped.
- March 6, 2007 -- A man was hospitalized after he was shot in the head while travelling northbound in a vehicle in front of the Mandalay Bay resort. The gunfire came from another vehicle that fled the scene.
- July 6, 2007 -- Steven Frances Zegrean wounded four individuals after opening fire inside the New York-New York resort. He was sentenced to a minimum 26 years in prison in 2009 but died behind bars less than a year later.
- Aug. 19, 2007 -- Four bystanders were injured by gunfire outside Margaritaville and O'Shea's casino after two groups of men began to argue. Robert S. Jackson and Markus Burton were charged with attempted murder after the incident. Burton is scheduled to go to trial on March 11. Jackson also was set to go to trial that date but is now scheduled for a status check on Aug. 21.
- Oct. 7, 2007 -- Metro Police Sgt. Thomas Stoll stopped a motorist on the Las Vegas Strip at Harmon Avenue who was suspected of shooting at another vehicle. When it appeared to Stoll as though driver Victor Ramos was reaching for a gun, Stoll fired a shot through the driver's side window that struck the dashboard. Ramos was found guilty on several charges, the most serious of which was attempted murder with a deadly weapon, which drew a prison sentence of eight to 20 years.
- Dec. 6, 2012 -- An alleged car burglar was arrested after shooting at security guards in the Circus Circus parking garage.
- Dec. 14, 2012 -- Edward C. Brandt of Lake Forest, Ill., shot and killed ex-girlfriend Jessica Corinne Kenny as she was working in the Excalibur resort lobby, then took his own life.
- Feb. 6, 2013 -- Three individuals were wounded by gunfire in the garage lobby adjacent to the United Artists Showcase theater following an argument. Devante Jeffers was arrested in connection with the shooting and police are seeking another suspect, Ariya Manoi.
Three people were arrested for being connected to the human sex…
A Clark County School District bus was involved in a crash with a…
Homicide detectives are investigating a stabbing related homicide,…