Neighborhood evacuated after gas leak, fire

By Kody Stover |, Shakala Alvaranga

Published 07/26 2016 12:00PM

Updated 07/26 2016 09:50PM

A neighborhood in the northwest part of town was evacuated just before noon on Tuesday.

Las Vegas Fire & Rescue says a backhoe hit a natural gas line near Anasazi Drive & N. Hualapai Way.  The gas line broke, causing it to leak and catch fire.  

Fire crews had to allow the fire to burn out until the gas was shut off, so roads in the area remained closed for hours.




The entire ordeal created terrifying moments for residents in the area because many said they felt their houses shake, while others described the sound before the fire as a loud boom.
"I was in the house and felt a boom," said Mistie Nicols, a resident.  "I heard the windows shake, and I was on my way out the door, so I left, and about a half hour later I came off the exit, and I saw the smoke.  I saw how close it was.  My main concern was the structures around it."
No buildings caught fire, and no one was injured.
The 45-100 people evacuated were let back into their homes Tuesday night.

Copyright 2016 Nexstar Broadcasting, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

comments powered by Disqus