Neighbors blame house fire on hoarding

LAS VEGAS -- A home near Sahara Avenue and Rainbow Boulevard caught on fire early Monday morning, and at one point, most of the backyard was engulfed in flames because of the amount of junk being stored there.

Dylan Taucer lives right next door and says he knew this was bound to happen.

"He was actually living there and dumping junk in the backyard," Taucer said. "He was doing this for his job, and collecting junk in a big truck and dumping in the backyard and I watched him do it."

Everything from toilet seats to couches and TVs, all piled up in the back and front yards of the home.

Next door neighbors say this isn't the first time they have filed a complaint with the county about their neighbor's mess.

"I checked off ‘hazardous materials,' please help us," Taucer said, "They told us to call code enforcement then they would tell us to call the county and it was a run around game and they would come out here and look at the place and not do a single thing."

According to county officials, a complaint on this property was filed. The county contacted the homeowner and issued a violation notice back in March, that issue was fixed.

In mid-July, the county says another complaint was filed and since the homeowners couldn't meet code-enforcement standards, an abatement notice was issued earlier this month. That case is still open.

"The next step I'm going to do now is protect myself. My house was completely in jeopardy here. I could've lost my life, my girlfriend or my dogs' life and if it was during school hours, these children could have lost their lives." Taucer said.

The neighbors say they aren't happy with how long this process is taking.

"Still scary cause you still have this residue and it could burn down again tonight. It's still an issue." neighbor Noelle Haddad said.

The county says the process can take a long time because it wants to make sure the proper steps are taken before the government intervenes with private property.   

The home where the fire started and home next door were at one time both owned by same man. The home where the fire started was sold to a trust during a public auction in March. The home next door still belongs to the original homeowner, but neighbors say it is occupied by renters.

8 News NOW was unable to reach the former homeowner for comment.

The Clark County Fire Department has not released the cause of the fire yet.


More Stories

Don't Miss

  • Community Calendar
    Copyright 2017 Nexstar Broadcasting, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.
  • Connect with 8 News NOW
    Copyright 2017 Nexstar Broadcasting, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.
  • Deadly Dust: Asbestos
    Copyright 2017 Nexstar Broadcasting, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.
  • Community Pride
    Copyright 2017 Nexstar Broadcasting, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.
  • Politics Now
    Copyright 2017 Nexstar Broadcasting, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Latest News

Video Center