"A Test for Excellence" is a partnership between 8 News Now, the Clark County School District School-Community Partnership Program, and The UPS Store and Southwest Airlines. This partnership provides an avenue for developing critical thinking and encouraging students to keep up-to-date on current events.
Middle school students are asked to read and watch the daily news. Each week, they are given a quiz on current events from the previous week. At the end of six weeks, schools form teams of their top students to compete against other middle schools in a final competition. During the final competition, teams take a written 75-point test and compete against each other in a verbal round. The top team with the highest combined score travels to Sea World San Diego for the day.
Test for Excellence Quiz #6 Bonus Questions: Wednesday, April 17, 2013
- Which of the following national recreational areas was ranked in the fifth spot on the list of the most visited places in the National Park System in 2012?
- Yellowstone National Park
- Grand Canyon
- Lake Mead
- Great Basin National Park
- Which of the following female country music artists won the female vocalist of the year award at the 48th annual Country Music Awards?
- Taylor Swift
- Miranda Lambert
- Carrie Underwood
- Faith Hill
- A magnetic bracelet made up of titanium beads is now being used to help treat people with which of the following chronic conditions?
- Peptic Ulcer
- Irritable bowel syndrome
- Gastro-esophageal reflux disease
- Crohn's disease
Test for Excellence Quiz #5 Bonus Questions: Wednesday, April 10, 2013
- The Nevada state Senate voted to approve an increased tax plan for which of the following that would increase revenue to public education?
- Small business taxes
- Property taxes in larger cities
- Mining taxes
- Sales tax
- The Washington National's left fielder, Bryce Harper, hit two home runs against the Miami Marlins on Opening Day. Which of the following awards did Harper receive in 2012?
- National League Rookie of the Year
- National League Most Valuable Player
- Kank Aaron Award
- Silver Slugger Award
- Home prices across the nation have increased by the largest amount in seven years, with which of the following states having the biggest gain in the Western United States?
Test for Excellence Quiz #4 Bonus Questions: Wednesday, March 20, 2013
- Cashman Field was host to which of the following baseball games this past weekend?
- Las Vegas 51s vs. Sacramento River Cats
- Chicago Cubs vs. Texas Rangers
- San Jose Giants vs. Peoria Chiefs
- Boston Red Sox vs. Los Angeles Dodgers
- The new pope, a cardinal from Argentina, was the first pope ever to be which of the following?
- Elected from the Americas
- Elected from outside of Europe
- Elected quickly
- All of the above
- Which of the following states has the nation's highest rate of foreclosures according to recent listings?
Test for Excellence Quiz #3 Bonus Questions: Wednesday, March 13, 2013
- Why is Nevada no longer honoring the concealed weapons permits from the state of Arizona?
- Nevada created a new law banning permits from other states.
- Arizona's training requirements standards are below Nevada's standards.
- United States laws ban concealed weapons permits in 15 states.
- None of the above
- Senator Kieckhefer introduced Senate Bill 225, in honor of a request by a 9-year old boy, asking to make which breed of dog the state dog of Nevada?
- Boston Terrier
- Great Dane
- American Foxhound
- Blue Weimaraner
- Which Clark County School District high school increased its performance rating from a one-star school to a four-star school in just one year?
- Cimarron-Memorial High School
- Western High School
- Chaparral High School
- Green Valley High School
Test for Excellence Quiz #2 Bonus Questions: Wednesday, March 6, 2013
- Democratic legislators are looking to increase money spent for education, at least $310 million, for which of the following reasons?
- To reduce class sizes
- To provide full-day kindergarten in all schools
- To provide more funding for English language learners
- All of the above
- Which of the following states is looking to battle for dominance over Nevada in the online gaming industry?
- New Jersey
- The London Zoo is taking inventory of which of the following animals, by using an interactive map?
- all of the above
Test for Excellence Quiz #1 Bonus Questions: Wednesday, February 27th, 2013
- The parent company for which of the following magazines has filed for a second bankruptcy in less than four years?
- Sports Illustrated
- Reader's Digest
- Which of the following presidents signed documents formally including Nevada as a state in the Union?
- Abraham Lincoln
- Richard Nixon
- Franklin D. Roosevelt
- John F. Kennedy
- Which of the following hotel-casino companies has a hiring event for military veterans interested in jobs with its company?
- Boyd Gaming Corp.
- Caesars Entertainment Corp.
- Las Vegas Sands Corp.
- Wynn Macau Ltd.
A super game for Super Bowl Sunday. Philadelphia…
PYEONGCHANG, South Korea (AP) - The U.S. president's daughter and…
WASHINGTON (AP) - President Donald Trump is eyeing Veterans Day for a…